First Knights of Columbus Headquarters
962-964 Chapel Street
Building decorated for Dedication and K of C National Convention June 6, 1906. Courtesy Knights of Columbus.
In 1904, Chapel Street between Temple and College was transitioning to retail and office uses. A lot at 956 Chapel Street was where the Knights of Columbus chose to build its “first real home.” The Orders’ Supreme Office or headquarters had been in New Haven since its founding by Fr. Michael McGivney in 1882, but had previously occupied leased space at 157 Church Street (the offices of incorporators Daniel Colwell and Cornelius T. Driscoll), the Hoadley Building (corner of Church and Crown Streets) and the Poli Building (21–23 Church Street). Architect Lyman Faxon was selected to design a four storey modern French Renaissance-style building containing retail space on the first floor, office space for lease by professionals on the second and third floors, and club rooms and general offices for the Order on the third and fourth floors. The building was dedicated on June 6, 1906; the invocation was given by Rev. P.J. McGivney, K of C National Chaplain and Fr. Michael McGivney’s brother. It served as the Order’s Headquarters until 1922. The lot to the west became the Bohan-Landorf Co. building, a retail establishment owned in part by first generation Irish-American Michael Bohan.
- Text source courtesy Knights of Columbus and Connecticut Irish American Historical Society.
More About This Site