Cultural Heritage Tours

A project of the ETHNIC HERITAGE CENTER

Downtown Tour

St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church

125 Park Street

(demolished)

125 Park Street, St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church. Courtesy St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church of New Haven.

St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church began in 1909 in a house in Fair Haven. There had been a Ukrainian community in New Haven for approximately twenty years when the property at 125 Park Street was purchased in 1911 as the site for its first church. The church building had been home to St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, a congregation of predominantly African-Americans, from 1852 to 1905, and then to a Swedish Methodist Church. Named for St. Michael the Archangel, the “Little Grey Church on Park Street” was home to the congregation and the hub of the Ukrainian community until 1958.

  • Text source courtesy St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church of New Haven 75th Jubilee Book, 1984.

More About This Site