St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church and Ukrainian National Home
563 George Street
St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church.
On September 16, 1947, a large stone house and adjacent brick house at 555–563 George Street were purchased by the parish. They were used as a Ukrainian National Home, Ukrainian language school (“Ridna Shkola”), a meeting place for the Ukrainian community’s many organizations and residence for new immigrants. The Ukrainian National Home was organized in 1950 and initially leased space from St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church at 563 George Street. In 1956 the Ukrainian National Home purchased a building at 162 Day Street which served as a meeting place and permanent home for many Ukrainian organizations.
In March 1957, the building at 569 George Street was razed and construction began for a new church, auditorium and classrooms. The facility was designed by Yastremski Architects and built by Joseph F. Kelly Company. In November 1958, the cornerstone was placed. By November 14, 1964, the mortgage was paid. In 1964, the house at 573 George Street next to the rectory was purchased for $40,000. The Heritage Center was opened in 1984. Its collections include artistic artifacts, historical documents and literary resources that serve not only to preserve a culture, but also to enable it to flourish. In 2009, the parish celebrated its 100th anniversary.
- Text source courtesy St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church of New Haven 75th Jubilee Book, 1984.
More About This Site