Lower Dixwell Tour
Police Station 4
136 Dixwell Avenue
Sargent Michael J. Connelly & Captain William O’Keefe. Courtesy CT Irish American Historical Society.
Police Station 4-c. 1906. Courtesy CT Irish American Historical Society.
In 1893 a house at the corner of Dixwell Avenue and Webster Street became the quarters for Police Station 4. In 1906 the house was replaced by this building, designed specifically as a police precinct. Since its inception, the police department had provided a reliable source of employment for many of the city’s immigrant Irish residents. By 1906 these immigrants and their children occupied leadership positions in the Department, including 4 of 6 police commissioners, Chief of Police, and Captain and Sergeant in the 4th Precinct.
- Text source courtesy Connecticut Irish American Historical Society.
More About This Site