Lower Dixwell Tour
Dixwell Community House
98 Dixwell Avenue
98 Dixwell Avenue building. Courtesy New Haven Museum.
197 Dixwell (demolished, 2016). Courtesy Tarah Cherry.
The original Dixwell Community House was built in 1924 at 98 Dixwell Avenue, on land donated by the neighboring Dixwell Congregational Church with financial assistance from prominent New Haven residents to serve local youth and to be a base for neighborhood groups, charities, and other civic organizations. Locally known as the Q House, it offered music, drama and art classes, sponsored trips, and organized sports. The Q House also helped parents, especially single mothers, raise their children and instill good values. A new building, designed by local architects Edward Cherry and Herbert Newman, opened in 1971 as part of the Model City movement. Many of the Q House alumni are a “Who’s Who” of New Haven African Americans, including judges, lawyers, athletes, writers, and politicians. After closing its doors in 2003, the plans are to replace this building with a modern multi-use facility.
- Text source courtesy Greater New Haven African American Historical Society.
More About This Site