Wooster Square Tour
Columbus School aka Greene Street School
Corner of Greene & Wooster Place
Columbus School, c. 1930–1940s. Courtesy New Haven Museum.
Many children of Italian immigrants attended Columbus School during the early years of the twentieth century until redevelopment came through Wooster Square in the 1960s. The school offered classes from kindergarten through eighth grade. The school was originally named the Greene Street School. It is believed that the name was changed sometime after 1920 and after the Statue of Christopher Columbus was erected in Wooster Square Park in 1892. Many former students fondly share memories of attending Columbus School.
More About This Site