Wooster Square Tour
Lupoli’s Funeral Home
576 Chapel Street
Lupoli’s Funeral Home, c. 1869. Courtesy Joe Taylor.
Lupoli Brothers Funeral Home started out before 1883 as a livery service owned by Liberato Lupoli of the town of Piedimonte d’Alise in the southern Italian province of Caserta. From there his sons Mario, Gennaro, Antonio and Louis established a funeral parlor catering to the local Italian American community. Gennaro Lupoli’s son Carmen and Mario’s son Eugene took over the business in 1971. When they retired, Eugene’s son, Eugene Jr. took over the funeral parlor. It closed in 2008. Eugene’s other son, Leonard Lupoli, has now continued in the family business with a new funeral home in Hamden, CT.
The Art Deco building at 576 Chapel Street actually goes back to 1841-1842, when it was built as a Greek Revival house for industrialist Henry Lucas Hotchkiss, president of the L. Candee Rubber Company. A third floor was added in 1863 and in 1935 the entire exterior was redone by architect Lester Lulianelle.
- Text source url and courtesy Leonard Lupola.
More About This Site